The Fragment Society was formed in 1817 by a group of Nantucket women for the purpose of opening a school for island girls unable to pay for their education.
Then when the free public schools were established, the efforts of the Society turned to sewing and distributing clothing and quilts to needy individuals and to the Town Hospital.
In November 1836, The Fragment Society united with the Benevolent and Charitable Societies and became
know as the Ladies Howard Society which did much to distribute quilts, clothing and money to the poor of Nantucket.
source: Nantucket Historical Association Library
image size is: 24 x 18
mixed media on archival rag paper
matted and framed in a handsome wood frame - ready to hang.
- Product Code: Original Painting
- Availability: Out Of Stock
This Painting is Sold